Reciprocity in Connecticut

As a visiting boater the Connecticut Safe Boating Certificate, Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation and Safe Water-ski Towing Endorsement are accepted in every state with the exception of Colorado. This includes American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands and Virgin Islands. Again; as a visiting boater. If you move to another state you will have to check on the state specific requirement for its residents as more training may be necessary.

Connecticut recognizes Boating Certificates from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Rhode Island for use upon our waters as a visiting boater.

Move from any of these four states, and you can get the licence switched out as long as you do this within 90 days of becoming a resident.

Who needs a Connecticut Boaters License? Those who dock a boat for 60 days or more in Connecticut. At that point you’ll have to register the boat in Connecticut which means you’ll have to have the Connecticut PWC (the modern day Boaters License) number to register.